The Allure of Lap Sitting for Dogs
Many dog owners have the same common experience; a pup that loves to plop down on the lap for a snuggle and some petting. Dogs seek lap time for a number of reasons, from nutritional to mental and emotional needs.
Learning to sit on your lap is an instinctive act for canines. Just like in the wild, it is a way for your pup to position themselves for optimal nutrition. When in the wild, a mother wolves lap is where her puppies feed and nurse. Even an adult wolf will lay on their mother’s lap when it is their turn to eat.
Mental and Emotional Health
There are also many mental and emotional benefits to lap sitting. In the wild, a wolf pup that is aloof and not bonding with its siblings is disfavored by the wolf pack. Affection and comfort is essential for building strong puppies both in the wild and in your home. When your pup is in your lap, they feel safe, secure, and special.
Lap sitting is also a great way for canines to express their love and loyalty to their owners.
Make it Comfy
When lap sitting, a pup usually chooses a position that provides optimal comfort. Here are some tips to make your lap a comfy spot for your pup:
- Put a blanket down first: Make sure the surface is comfortable for your pup to lay on and it provides some insulation for you. If your pup tends to be a bit on the heavier side, you may want to put a cushion underneath them.
- Support their weight: If you can’t lift your pup up, you may be able to provide some support with your hands and arms to keep them comfortable while they lay on your lap.
- Stillness: Don’t move around too much when your dog is on your lap as this can become a distraction and make them uncomfortable.
Lap sitting is an age-old behavior shared between man and his best friend. It is an instinctive way for pups to nurture their nutritional, mental and emotional needs. Making sure your pup is comfortable is key to having a successful lap sitting session.
Set up a comfy spot and take some time to bond with your pup, you both will appreciate the time together.
What are the benefits of allowing my dog to sit on my lap?
1. Reinforces Bonding: Allowing your dog to sit on your lap reinforces the bond and trust between you and your pup. Taking the time to pet and cuddle your pup can deepen the connection between you, promoting feelings of security and joy in both of you.
2. Strengthens Training: Sitting on your lap can be used as a reward for your pup. Encouraging your dog to stay in one spot can help strengthen their obedience training.
3. Reduces Anxiety: Sitting on your lap can provide comfort to both you and your dog, particularly if your pup is feeling anxious. With the physical contact and reassurance of your presence, your pup can more easily relax and enjoy the moment.
4. Keeps Your Dog Safe: Allowing your dog to sit on your lap can be a great way to keep an eye on them. This can be especially useful if you have a habit of leaving the door open, or if you have visitors that your pup isn’t used to.