Why Do My Lash Extensions Itch?
Having lash extensions applied is a luxurious way to upgrade your style without spending time curling your eyelashes. However, if your eyelashes are itchy, it can take away from the experience. Here are a few reasons why your lash extensions may be itchy and what you can do about it:
Allergens from Adhesives
Lash adhesives are designed to hold – but they can also contain ingredients that may cause allergies or sensitivities. Some of the most common irritants in lash adhesive are cyanoacrylate and formaldehyde. If you suspect that your lash extensions are itchy due to an allergic reaction, consult a doctor or an experienced lash technician who can recommend a hypoallergenic adhesive.
Improper Application and Care
If your lash extensions are not properly applied or cared for, it can lead to sensitivities and irritation. For example, lashes that are too long or heavy can cause discomfort, and lash extensions that are not washed and disinfected regularly may contain bacteria and mites which can cause itching and irritation. To avoid this problem, make sure you are getting your lashes applied at a reputable salon and you are taking proper care of them at home.
Dry air can cause the natural lashes to become dry and brittle, resulting in irritation and itching. In order to combat this, you should make sure you are regularly using a lash oil or other moisturizing product to keep your eyelashes hydrated.
Tips for Preventing Itchy Lash Extensions
- Choose a Hypoallergenic Adhesive: Ask your technician to use an adhesive which is specifically designed for sensitivity.
- Keep Your Lashes Clean: Use a gentle cleanser to wash your lashes each day and disinfect them every few days.
- Stay Hydrated: Apply moisturizer or a lash oil to keep your natural lashes moisturized and your extensions extra soft.
- Protect Your Lashes: Avoid getting your eyelashes wet, or sleeping on your face to protect them from rubbing against your pillow.
By following these tips and taking proper care of your lashes, you should be able to stop the itching caused by your lash extensions and enjoy the look of beautiful long eyelashes.
1. How can I reduce the itching sensation caused by lash extensions?
To reduce the itching sensation caused by lash extensions, you can try using an anti-itch cream or saline solution. Applying a cool compress to the affected area can also help. Additionally, you should make sure to keep your lashes and extensions clean by using a gentle cleanser, and keeping water away from your lash extensions to prevent them from becoming too wet. Lastly, be sure to get regular touch-ups at the salon to ensure that your lashes are in top shape.
3. What signs should I look out for to indicate I may be allergic to lash extensions?
Signs that you may be allergic to lash extensions include itching, redness, swelling, and tenderness of your eyelids. If you experience any of these symptoms after having lash extensions applied, contact your doctor for further evaluation.