Bearded Dragon as Pets – How Much Does it Cost?
Bearded dragons are popular pets, due to their easy-going nature and being relatively low-maintenance. So, how much does it cost to bring a bearded dragon home?
What is the Cost of a Baby Bearded Dragon?
On average, you can expect to pay anywhere between $40 to $80 for a baby bearded dragon. Prices vary depending on the quality of the bearded dragon, its size, and the supplier/vendor.
Upfront Costs for a Baby Bearded Dragon
When getting a baby bearded dragon, there are a few costs you need to take into consideration.
- Enclosure – the cost for a terrarium or enclosure for a baby bearded dragon can range from $50 to $100.
- UVB lighting – you will need UVB lighting which can cost from $20 to $50.
- Heating Lamp – you will also need a heating lamp, which can cost from $10 to $30.
- Substrate/Bedding – you will need substrate or bedding which can range from $10 to $30.
- Miscellaneous Items – there will also be food, water dishes, decorations, and other miscellaneous items which can add up to $50 or more.
Overall, you can expect to pay anywhere between $150 and $300 for the initial set up of a baby bearded dragon.
Ongoing Costs for Baby Bearded Dragons
In addition to the initial cost for setting up the enclosure for a baby bearded dragon, there are ongoing costs you need to consider.
- Food and Treats – baby bearded dragons need a variety of food, including crickets, mealworms, fruits and vegetables, which can cost about $20 per month.
- Vet Bills – you will need to take your baby bearded dragon to the vet, which can cost around $50 or more.
- Supplies – you may need to buy additional supplies like substrate, decorations, and other miscellaneous items, which can cost around $20 per month.
Overall, you can expect to pay around $90 per month for the ongoing care of your baby bearded dragon.
In conclusion, the cost of a baby bearded dragon can range from $40 to $80, while the cost for the initial setup for a baby bearded dragon can range from $150 to $300. In addition, there are ongoing costs for food and other supplies which can range from $20 to $90 per month. All of these costs need to be taken into consideration when thinking about getting a baby bearded dragon.
What is the typical lifespan of a bearded dragon?
Bearded dragons typically have a lifespan of about 8-12 years when given proper care.
What is the average life expectancy of a bearded dragon?
Bearded dragons typically have an average life expectancy of 8 to 12 years, depending on their environment and care.
However, with proper care, it is possible for them to live much longer.
Some individuals have even been reported to live over twenty years.
What temperature should a bearded dragon be kept at?
Typically, beard dragons should be kept at temperatures between 75 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit (24 to 30 degrees Celsius). They also require a basking area that is 5-10 degrees higher than the rest of their enclosure.